Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Quick thoughts on Madonna's - Hard Candy

Let me first start off by saying I am a Madonna fan. There have been some great Madonna CD's over the years and some that kind of fall flat (remember American Life?). Well...Madonn's new release 'Hard Candy' dropped today and of course I pre-ordered it on iTunes. First thing in the morning I downloaded it and burned a CD to listen to in the car (and to have as a 'back up'). I hate to say it...and I'll probably get lots of Madonna backlash....but Hard Candy left a bad taste in my mouth.



I do give her credit for evolving her 'sound' every CD release...but I'm not on board with this evolution. Justin Timberlake and Timbaland produce quite a few tracks and that's not a good thing. Timbaland is the 'producer' of the moment and his music sounds the same for every artist he works with. Justin does things a little better with Madonna, but the whole CD makes her voice sound thin and actually not very good at all. Ok...we all know she doesn't have the chopps like Mimi...but she can hold her own. Her voice stands out like it doesn't fit. I also feel that her songwriting skills have taken a step back. I think me and my friends could make up lyrics that are a bit more 'deep' than she does. I get the feeling they created the music...then Madonna came along and added the words. They just don't fit.

The best songs on the CD are the 3 re-mixes. Two for 4 Minutes and one of Give it to Me. This CD isn't horrible, but I expected more I guess. Oh...and I HATE when rappers are brought in to drop a few lines here and there....they don't belong in Madonna songs. Her last 'Hip-Hop' type CD was Bedtime Stories and was GREAT.

Some of the highlights of the CD:
4 Minutes
Give it to Me
... (original and remix are growing on me)
Miles Away ... (sounds a lot like an older song of hers though)
She's Not Me... (only a small snippet almost at the end..sounds very retro and is interesting)

Some WTF moments:
Candy Shop....(she motions 'Turkish Delight'...ok, we get it...she loves the UK..silly song and kind of gross if it's a metaphor. Sticky candy doesn't sound sexy... She's 50!)
Spanish Lesson...(this doesn't fit on this CD AT ALL! Basura)
Ring My Bell... (you call this a 'bonus' track? no thanks...my Christmas Bonus at work was better)
Voices...(beginning sounds too N'SYNC. listen...you'll hear it too...lyrics like "are you walking the dog, or is the dog walking you)
Beat Goes On...(the chorus goes on and on and on and on...and she had to throw Kanye West in there...ick.)

What do you think of Hard Candy? Leave a comment and let everyone know.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: